I’m not exaggerating here. When I have a tan I feel healthier, am more confident about my body and it makes my complexion look better. Having a tan hides my awesome spots that always seem to pop up right before a big event. I’ve had a pimple on my cheek that announced it’s arrival on Melbourne cup day, and it’s still here, TWO WEEKS later.
Thank goodness my tan disguises a bit of the change in skin tone around pimples. Of course, with the amount of time lying around in UV rays it would require to keep my tan up combined with my having a full time job and a general fear of skin cancers, a spray tan is obviously the smart move.
A Spray tan can lift your mood: Everyone loves a holiday and that glow that comes with it, but why are you waiting until you are about to jump on a plane? Get a spray tan and instantly feel the feels of relaxation, general chilled-ness and that vacation-y vibe of having a great tan now, even if you’re sitting at a desk job.
If you haven’t ventured into spray tan territory before (Or if it’s been a long time since you’ve tried one), I can gladly let you know that spray tanning has moved forward in leaps and bounds since it’s inception and introduction to my sixth form ball where the only colour available was orange. Nowadays, anything from a subtle, golden glow to an “I’ve just been on holiday” dark tan can easily be achieved in the 15 minutes it takes to disrobe and have your tan applied.
Below are a few tips if it’s been a while, it never hurts to brush up on the basics!
- Schedule your tan smartly. There’s nothing worse than having to go back to work or run errands in “loose fitting clothing” with no underwear. My best work so far was when I forgot my change of clothes and had to wear a trench coat with nothing on underneath it to the supermarket after a tan- I felt like I was in that episode of Modern Family where Claire tries to be sassy on Valentines day but ends up having her coat stuck in an escalator with no way to escape.If you are tanning for a big event, such as a wedding, you may want to consider a trial run before your big day so that you can make sure your colour choice is right for you and decide how many days prior to your event you would like to be tanned.
- Scrub a dub! Make sure you have properly exfoliated your elbows and knees (including behind them!) to ensure your tan is smooth and lasts as long as it can. Shave or wax 24 hours before so you don’t get any weird tan spots in your pores and always make sure that you use a fresh razor blade so that your tan doesn’t get shaved off in the shower too quickly afterwards!
- Remove your makeup Ok so I’m guilty of doing this basically never, but it is recommended that you start with a blank slate to spray your tan onto. I mean, you wouldn’t want your face to miss out on the tan action because it’s protected by a layer of foundation would you?
- Maintain Ensure your tan lives its best life by regularly moisturising with alcohol and retinol free products. Products containing benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, and AHA’s should also be avoided. Soaks, massages and hot water will also break your tan down faster, so if you are planning a trip to the spa you may want to do it later in the week following your tan application (You’re almost due for another one anyway!)
- Ask questions Any good spray tan provider will answer any questions that you have about the product, and will be happy to make recommendations for tans that will suit your skin tone.Virtue Swim (My amazing spray tanner!) offer two types of tan solution- Skinny Tan, The world’s first tanner that utilises Guarana to visibly reduce the appearance of cellulite, and Brown All Year, who offer certified organic spray tans suitable for pregnant or lactating women, and also offer an “express tan”, which develops in a quick 1-2 hours.
- Maybe avoid automatic spray tan machines – They don’t give the precise application that a trained professional can do, and you also avoid the risk of ending up like Ross.Want to try a tan at Virtue Swim on me? All you need to do is comment on the FB post here why you want a spray tan this spring and tag a friend.